Head of Internal Audit
Job no: 495366
Work type: Full time
The role involves identifying and regularly refreshing the group’s key risks and ensuring that the internal audit activity is appropriately aligned. Working with the audit committee, the role will define the internal audit plan and lead the delivery of it, both directly and through the management of two direct reports. The role will also be required to firmly position the internal audit function as a value-adding business partner, supporting the business with best practice recommendations.
The role reports to the Chief Financial Officer and works closely with the Board of Directors and other senior stakeholders. For the right candidate there are excellent career progression opportunities.
- Identifying and regularly refreshing and documenting the group’s risks and mitigating controls.
- Developing the internal audit plan for endorsement by the audit committee.
- Implementing the internal audit plan, creating clear, concise, value-adding and actionable audit reports. This role will be required to both directly conduct audits and deliver through the team.
- Influencing internal stakeholders to take ownership of, and complete, recommendations of improvements to processes or controls.
- Monitoring and reporting on the status of outstanding actions.
- Providing advice on internal control including interpretation of relevant policies and procedures, liaising with other internal functions and external assurance providers where required.
- Benchmarking and sharing trends and developments in the best practice of audit/risk management/internal control.
- Communicating on a timely basis with the Chair of the Audit Committee and the external auditors.
- Preparing and presenting internal audit progress reports for the audit committee.
- Leading and developing two direct reports.
- If and when relevant, developing and monitoring the budget for external consultants engaged to support the internal audit programme.
- Building and maintaining a strong internal network; behaving as an approachable business partner who stakeholders want to seek value-adding advice from.
- Qualified accountant with at least 4 years’ PQE.
- Extensive experience in risk based auditing across a range of processes using the latest audit methodologies and techniques and risk management experience. This could be gained in either an internal audit or external audit context.
- Ability to lead and develop a team.
- Exemplary values of integrity and honesty.
- Technically astute and intellectually curious.
- Ability to draw on best practice from other organisations and adapt it to meet the needs of Halfords Group.
- Ambition and appetite for personal development.
- Strong leadership capabilities to optimise the performance of the team and build credibility across the group.
- Of utmost importance to this role are the following personality traits and communication skills:
- A dynamic, engaging style that gives an ability to build and maintain effective relationships. The right person will firmly establish themselves as an approachable, value-adding business partner, able to act as a sounding board and a purveyor of best practice, but also pragmatic advice.
- A proactive, energetic approach and the ability to challenge and drive through change.
- Ability to work collaboratively and pragmatically with all stakeholders as well as having the gravitas and credibility to represent the internal audit function at board level and with the external auditors.
- An effective communicator with excellent presentation skills; articulate and persuasive, and adept at interacting with senior stakeholders and explaining complicated matters in a succinct and easy-to-understand way.
Apply now Back to search results