Head of Property
Job no: 501766
Work type: Full time
Reporting to the Group Property Director the Head of Property leads the Halfords Property Team and provides strategic direction for the group (Halfords Retail, Autocentres, Cycle Republic, Tredz & Wheelies and Boardman Bikes) on all property portfolio related matters.
Working with the Group Property Director and operating board you will support the development of our customer focused strategy. You will determine the required real estate portfolio to support this strategy by understanding how our customers access our locations in any given geography and provide expert advice on how to undertake any portfolio change at minimal cost.
You will provide leadership to a function undertaking property acquisitions, location planning, lease renewals, rent reviews, and general day to day estate management and deal with any specific or significant issues individually as required.
You will have budget responsibility for all the Group’s occupational costs and manage existing outsourced partners dealing with both Rating and Service Charges.
The current portfolio consists of 450 retail stores, 317 Halfords Autocentres and 24 Performance Cycling stores (Cycle Republic, Tredz, and Boardman) and 2 DC’s. Total leaseable space is c 4.9m sq ft with annual rent and rates of £142m. The portfolio is leasehold with an average lease length of 6 years.
- Ownership of property portfolio management of the group estate to ensure that we have the optimum number of stores/centres in the right locations at the right size at the best cost to meet the Group strategy.
- Support the board in the wider development of the business strategy and detail how property will be impacted and / or support this strategy.
- Day to day responsibility for leading, recruiting and developing a current team of 10 consisting qualified surveyors, analysists and admin support. The team is primarily field based, spending one to two days a week in the head office in Redditch.
- Set clear targets to ensure all financial measures are met, the company delivers on its strategy, the team remain engaged and all tools, data and process are effective enablers to support day to day activity.
- Ensure the best processes are in place to deliver effective property portfolio management. Maximise the existing real estate and mapping software and wider business software to ensure the team and supplier network have ready access to the date required to make and support effective property decisions.
- The role is seen as a key internal stakeholder and will be relied upon for both strategic and tactical advice relating to property matters. Accordingly manage the approval and governance process for property related decisions and to lead the necessary internal board level meetings accordingly.
- Manage Landlord, Agent and Developer relationships and maximise the position of Halfords within the market to drive the best portfolio solutions required.
- Be the lead in managing all relationships with our external advisors (agents, solicitors, rating consultants, service charge consultants, planning consultants etc.) and ensuring that these services match the business requirements and delivered at the best value possible.
- Build strong relationships with the wider Property, Format, Maintenance, Store Development and operations teams to enhance overall department performance and effectiveness.
- Manage internal and external reporting processes as required including integrity of database management, sub-let portfolio, monthly KPI reporting and other key reports
- Ideally MRICS qualified, with 10 + years’ relevant experience
- Excellent knowledge of the retail property market, with extensive contact base
- Experience managing a team of property professionals engaged in managing a multi-site consumer facing property portfolio.
- Expert knowledge and experience of management of lease renewals, rent reviews, rating appeals and service charge challenges.
- Proven experience of leading property portfolio change in the UK & ROI market.
- Highly analytical, with outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Natural credibility and gravitas to influence at all levels
- An excellent negotiator with commercial acumen.
- Resilient and driven individual who is pragmatic and a good problem solver.
- Strong leadership skills, people orientated with proven ability to retain and motivate a diverse team.
- High EQ; able to maintain relationships with different key stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail
- Cultural fit with Halfords in essential, the business is hands on, fast paced and solutions focused.
- Proactive with high levels of energy and pace.
- A commercially aware leader who is solution focussed and passionate about getting things right first time.
- The role is seen as a potential successor for the Group Property Director.
- Potential succession to the role can come from the Property Portfolio Manager position.
Apply now Back to search results